Here’s 10 quick and easy home tips you can use to prepare for the upcoming storm season.
1. Designate a safe place in your home to take shelter during a storm. This is ideally in the lowest level of your home with few windows or large furniture. Make sure all your family members know this is where to go in the event of a big storm.
4. Check any wall air conditioners. Disastersafety.org recommends checking your wall air conditioners. Since these appliances essentially exist in a hole in your home, it’s important to make sure they’re sealed correctly. Specifically check:
- The caulking around the air conditioner’s sleeve. Fill any gaps or cracks you see in the caulking
- Weather stripping around the unit
- The internal drain to make sure water is flowing freely
5. Test your sump pump. Make sure the system is draining properly and mechanical components are operating well. Consider battery-powered backup options in case there is a power outage.
9. Secure your outdoor gear. This includes furniture, tools, mowers, etc. If they are not in use, put them away or tie them down. These can become either damaged or the cause of damage in a high wind situation.
10. Stay informed. Make sure you have a way of getting weather notifications. Several free weather apps will send you a push notification when severe weather is in your area. Keep in mind storms can come in the middle of the night. So, be sure to allow notifications and keep the sound on to hear the alerts. There are also weather radios you can use in your home that will alert you of severe storms any time of day.
Blog provided by: https://www.auto-owners.com/ao-blog